Monday, September 23, 2013

Contest time!

I like contests. I don't enter many, and when I do, I never seem to win. However, I have discovered kids LOVE contests even if the prize is small and cheap. I enjoy using contests as a way to hook students into learning something different and new. Last year I created weekly Wordle contests. A Wordle is a word cloud that auto-generates into a neat mishmash of chosen words in various sizes and colors. My Wordles contained plot, setting, and characters from a certain book and students had to identify the title of the book to win. It was pretty popular and many students played the entire year. It served as a way for me to see if the kids knew some popular books and classics that are referenced later in life. I also got an idea as to their reading habits.

This year, despite the Wordle popularity, I decided to focus on research. I constantly ask students to evaluate the information they receive whether the form is visual, physical, or audio. With so much information streaming at us on a constant basis, it is important to verify sources, know if they are reliable and, if not, how to check that. Although I hammer this at them year round, I feel I could do better, hence a contest! At the entrance to the library I put up a "Question of the Week." Students answer the question AND have to tell me the source. We have gone over, that perhaps, they know the answer due to prior knowledge or looking it up on the web, in a book or just asking a teacher, family member, or friend. Each week I draw 3 names and if they have answered correctly and provided a source that I feel is legitimate ( most kids cannot tell me the temperature of Venus without researching it so answering "prior knowledge" wouldn't apply), they get something from the prize box. In addition to this, I put up a weekly mini poster showing something entertaining or thought provoking having to do with libraries, books, or reading.

We have also continued with word of the week (WOW). This is a great way to introduce new vocabulary words and remind students the purpose of the parts of speech. Students in K-8 are exposed to WOW and the younger students love rolling the new words around on their tongues. Sometimes the pronunciation is quite comical and even I can get tongue tied.

Below are the questions of the week and the WOW's so far. Unfortunately, I cannot show you the weekly mini posters, but if you visit the school feel free to take a glance. Sorry, I am not giving prizes for correct answers off the blog.

Question of the Week: (QW)
What is the largest frog in the United States?
How long is the NH coastline? (There are a couple of acceptable answers. Ask your child why.)
What is the name of the group of islands belonging to NH?


WOW
Vague-adj definition: not clear
Compliment- noun definition: expression of praise
Lament-adj definition: to feel or express sorrow or sadness


Keep reading!
The Noisy Librarian

No comments:

Post a Comment