Sunday, September 8, 2013

Annnndd..... we're off!

I LOVE going back to school. I deem myself a life long learner and my teachers are my colleagues, the kids, and animals all in various settings. I love learning. Coming back to teach in the fall is rejuvenating. I spend some of my summer in classes and workshops, reading, investigating, and discussing new ideas, thoughts, and trends. Teaching gives me the opportunity to share what I have learned.

The first few weeks are both boring and exciting. It is important to go over basic rules and expectations ( the boring part). Exciting because the kids can't wait to tell me what they have read, where they have gone, and what they have done. I love hearing all about what has gone on in their lives over this seemingly short period of time. In turn I can't wait to tell them about infographs, petcha kucha, the NH award nominees, Google and the "new" research button and automatic citing source, Easybib, and what CCSS (Common Core State Standard) means to them. We discuss the new contest for the year, Word of the Week, writing about our pets from pictures and the possibility of having a super hero day ( which may include mask making in the library). I tell them about my new texting tool that I am sharing (check the newsletter), BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) class,library lunch on Wednesdays,  my website, book whips, and perhaps letting each class take a turn blogging on this very site. We tour the library and examine the new playaways, magazines, NOOKS, movies, citing sources papers, and graphic organizers.

By the time the day is over, I am exhausted. I have spent the day listening to their enthusiastic sharing and have kicked it up a notch with my own. I love it. In my mind, this is what education is about. Next week we'll discuss more books, and how to use the online catalog system which I have revamped and will allow them to review books as well as many other cool features.

Keep reading and if you are stuck and need a good book, well, I have read over 100 during the summer and am sure I can recommend something for you!

Needing sleep...
The Noisy Librarian

No comments:

Post a Comment