Sunday, September 13, 2015

What? September already?

September-a time for new beginnings and my enthusiasm and energy level is comparable to a seven year old. I began the year with a brand-new-much-larger, space. The library morphed into the "Library Learning Commons" and became a realm worthy of a setting in an adventure novel. Hopefully a tech savvy student with oodles of spare time will hear my pleas and graciously take all my video footage and photos of the process and create a movie bound to win an Academy Award. Aside from delusions of grandeur, I know I accomplished my goal when students walked into the space, smiling, laughing, applauding and yelling slang words that meant I have achieved "cool" status.

Besides this highlight of my career, I will begin mentoring my second year of Genius Hour with 6-8th grade students and collaborating with a new colleague, Ms. Magario. I will also introduce a Genius Hour pilot program with Mrs. Lee the second grade teacher. The opposite ends of the spectrum in age groups are now covered. It is bound to be exciting, challenging, frustrating, engaging, and loads of fun. I can't wait!

September: apples, the beginning of cooler weather, growth, excitement, and time to begin anew. No one thinks of all this when you mention September as these thoughts are usually reserved for spring. However, for me, September brings back a feeling of starting over, fresh eager faces, and a love of learning and curiosity that I want to foster, perpetuate, and encourage. That is my goal.

Sit back, munch on a crisp apple and watch us grow.
Keep reading,
The Noisy Librarian

No comments:

Post a Comment