Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Shhh it's summer

It is hot today. Not just summer hot, but pavement searing, warm lake water hot. Not that I am complaining, I love this kind of weather. However, I am in the library where it is cool, quiet, and quite messy. Most people believe schools shut down during the summer, but that couldn't be further from the truth. A lot happens when the kids are gone. It also happens to be the ONLY time this library is quiet. No kids, and no noisy librarian trying to teach and engage. So what am I doing here? Working in the silence. I am pouring through websites and magazines hand picking the books I want displayed when the kids come back. I am writing lesson plans and coordinating author visits. I am secretly downloading apps to play with so I can introduce them to students. I am working on units for other people and grabbing resources for them. I am investigating all the Google "stuff" I learned about at a recent conference and I am gazing at the library wondering if I will have it all cleaned up and ready come fall.

See, it's messy but I know that when push comes to shove at the end of August, I'll be ready for those kids. I'll be armed with books, apps, research tools and new Google lingo to jump start them back into school. 

Until then, I am going to grab a book and head to the beach!
Happy reading everyone,
Jill (AKA The Nosiy Librarian)

No comments:

Post a Comment