Sunday, October 18, 2015

Space- a new frontier

Although I have been a librarian for 8 years, somehow I have become a first year teacher again, and it is not a bad thing. I find myself revamping every lesson, tackling individualized learning in a new format, and trying to collaborate in many different ways. What was the change? My library became a Library Learning Commons- my space almost doubled in size allowing for a more flexible, fun, comfortable environment. Whereas I used to have barely enough space  for one class and a few extra students, I can now accommodate 3 full classes at once.

If I am teaching a class in the new cozy reading area, another class can be using the cafe tables with the computers and whiteboard and yet the older students can comfortably be working in the YA area on couches, beanbags, and hassocks. Music quietly plays in the background and collaboration is abundant. Students WANT to use this space now. This is a vast difference from years past and I love it. Learning is changing and growing in front of my eyes and it is making me question how I teach.

Hearing students work together in this space and watching grades co-mingle ( second graders working near sixth graders) appropriately and modeling good work ethic and behaviors is thought provoking. I have discovered I need to be available almost all the time due to the amount of students in the LLC, and I like it! I see kids taking charge of their learning while understanding and following the clear boundaries I have put in place. I love our new space and so does the clientele which promotes an attitude of achievement and success.

Every student should be given the opportunity to learn in a safe, pleasant space that gives the freedom to access various types of information and help when needed- we are expanding on that and the learning curve is challenging but enjoyable for me too.

                                               Collaboration at all levels.

                                      A fun place to read together.


                                       A meeting of the minds.
 
                                                        Working hard in the YA section.


                                                  Reading in comfort.

                                                 It's a student's life!

Keep watching us grow and learn together,
The Noisy Librarian

No comments:

Post a Comment